Mom’s Story

My mother was in the hospital for almost a full month before the doctor’s figured out her symptoms were indicative of non-Hodgkin lymphoma.  We were told (and were all relieved) that this was something she could live with for a long time.  At some point though (time blurs all memories, unfortunately), she developed a tumor between her heart and her lung.  It was the size of a grapefruit.  The recommended treatment was chemotherapy and she faithfully endured a full round.   I remember sitting with her as she handed me scissors to cut her hair since it was falling out so rapidly. Snip after snip and her hair was gone.  It was surreal.  That was such an odd thing to share with one’s mother.

The chemo successfully eradicated the tumor and she was pretty much symptom-free for an entire year.  Then the breathing issues began again.  Once again, the tumor was back and growing rapidly as large as the first.  Chemo was the first course of treatment but this time around, my mother could not tolerate it and she was taken off after only two visits.  The doctors gave her something else that I cannot remember but it had no effect and she was ineligible for a clinical trial that was running at the time.  Four months after her attempts at treatment, the symptoms were getting worse, the tumor was still quite large and her options were running out.   I suggested that she let me give her Reiki treatments.  I remember her saying to me that it “couldn’t hurt” and I worked with her, running energy into the tumor three times a week for about an hour.  I remember her saying how peaceful she felt afterward and that even if the Reiki did not work on the tumor it was still a great experience for her – a respite from her worries for one hour a few times a week.  Each session I gave her I felt the energy of the tumor changing.  I did believe it was getting smaller since the energy imprint of it did not take up as much space in my hand as it did originally.

About 3 weeks after we were working together, she had an appointment to check the size of the tumor.  I joked with her that they would not be able to find it.  She laughed and agreed.  When the test results came back, the report was mixed.  The tumor had actually shrunk to the size of a walnut (from almost the size of a baseball!).  We were thrilled.  She beamed from ear to ear.  The downside was that they discovered a dark spot on her lung and scheduled a PET scan to check that out.   Since that appointment was two weeks away, I told her that we were going to ramp up our efforts and just take care of everything in that two week period so that when she went back for the PET scan, she would not only not have the black spot gone but that the tumor would be as well.  I worked on her during that two week time frame and both of us visualized the tumor and black spot gone from her body.

When she got her test results back, we were elated to find out that not only had the black spot disappeared but also that the tumor was gone.  The way she looked at me with gratitude is something I will never forget and it showed me the power of believing and the gift of energy medicine.  The hospital even documented that the treatment she received was Reiki.

Even though my Mom died suddenly without warning in 2006 from congestive heart failure — her tumor never returned in the interim.

Share This